Monday, June 11, 2007

Southlands

I woke up at six am, left at seven am for the train station where I got the seven twelve train to Paddockwood and got off at Maidstone. I walked the pathway to the other station where I sat on a cold blue painted metal bench. I got one of the many Ashford bound trains where I got off at Harrietsham. Looking up and down the road I didn't know which direction to go. I decided to walk down the hill in hopes of finding a shop where I could ask where Southlands was. I found a little corner shop where I asked for directions and just as I did two people said they were just heading back there. The two people turned out to be a support worker and a client.

I spent the first week calling everyone by the wrong name and reading personal files.

I soon settled in but it wasn't without bumps along the way.

Weeks soon turned into months as I began to find my feet and learn the routines.

I participated and supported clients in activities such as disco's, college, swimming, rambling, rock climbing, shopping, arts and crafts and many more.

I went on several client holidays around the country.

The first was a four day camping trip in August (during the heat wave) with the other homes in the company to Canterbury. We all pitched in a break in the forest. There was nothing there aside a toilet/shower block and a makeshift camp fire. It was really fun though after several ice cold showers a day because there wasn't any hot water we all begun to smell.

The second holiday was with all the ladies from Southlands a Heaven on the coast. We stayed in two caravans for a week. During this holiday I participated in the talent contest and danced to Fame. I didn't win but the ladies enjoyed seeing me in a different light.

The third and final holiday was five days at another Heaven site in Chichester which is near Bognergious. It was cold and rained a few days but it was good fun. I took a client from Southlands and her best friend and support worker from another home came with us. The support worker and I got on extremely well and we even aptly named the caravan our tin can.

Fallen-Angel

No comments: