Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Wedding Of The Year

The once rebellious and troubled teen reformed into the perfect Christian (almost) and the guy from the youth club said their vowels today in the Rivera Christian Centre, vowels of love, devotion, worship and happily ever after endings.

My little sister who is nineteen years of age is married long term to the love of her life.

How strange it is to say that out loud.

My little sister and I have never really seen eye to eye, we're very different people and the only thing that makes us sisters is the fact we have the same parents.

We were all up early pruning ourselves: mum and dad, my little sister, Auntie and her son-our cousin and my girlfriend and I. The maid of honour was running an hour late so I accompanied my little bride to be sister to the hair salon at the end of our road. The maid of honour arrived, I was no longer needed or wanted so I walked home.

It was raining.

I spent the next few hours straightening my big sister's, her daughter's, my girlfriend's and my hair with my new Treseme straighteners.

At some point mum did her usual thing just like she did at my brother's wedding and went off in a huff because no one was paying her any attention. It's really quite pathetic for a grown a woman, a wife and a mother to act like a child to gain attention, attention she didn't get. Her longtime friend was at our house too but she chose to ignore her too which was very insulting and I felt bad for her.

The flowers arrived and we all set off in various cars to the church, my little sister and parents leaving last.

At the church we all took our seats and watched the service which to my surprise was short and nice, obviously mum didn't approve but she never does.

Will mum ever approve anything her children do?

After the service we stood in the drizzle trying not to get too wet for the photos. I hated that part but put on a brave face and did what I had to do.

The reception was in a function room down Paignton sea front. The room was nicely decorated, there was a buffet, balloons, place settings and a head table. Later on there were speeches and tears, more pictures and then some of us braver ones danced to the quite crap DJ.

We all left around eleven pm and headed our separate ways.

The following day Auntie and cousin went home much to the relief of everyone. Mum was still moaning and complaining about the whole wedding but one by one we tuned her out.

Fallen-Angel

No comments: